Thursday, December 3, 2009

Entrance of the Theotokos & St. Catherine

We were at grandma and grandpa's house for the feast of the Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple and for my sister, Catherine's, name day last week.  We're back from our trip and we are catching up on our lessons about these two feastdays.

Our first lesson was on the Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple.  I told a little story to my 7, 6, & 4 y.o. about how the Theotokos was taken to the temple by her parents, Saints Joachim & Anna, when she was younger than they are now.  She lived there for many years and prayed to God each day.  Each of them colored an icon of the Entrance of the Theotokos.  I've never limited them to colors before when they are coloring but today I tried to guide them to use colors found in icons since icons are written in a very specific manner.  My seven year old asked me to find an icon on the Internet so he could try and copy the colors.  :)  My other two just wanted to color.  I took the pink crayon out of the pile.  :)
















Justin coloring - Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple

***
















We call this "Mr. Mouse".  It is a glove to help train beginning writers to hold their writing/coloring implement correctly by providing only two holes for your pointy finger and thumb to peek through.  You teach the child to put the crayon/pencil in the mouse's mouth and then color/write.  It works absolutely beautifully and does a wonderful job reinforcing fine motor skills!!!


***
















***























***
















Saint Catherine lived in the 300's.  She was martyred because she professed she was a Christian and would not worship anyone but God.


***


1 comment:

Pres. Kathy said...

Looks like the kids did a nice job! I like that glove to learn to hold the pencil correctly. I will have to look into it. Thanks!