Sunday, October 25, 2009

Godparent Sunday

Our parish celebrated Godparents and Godchildren today.  I don't think there's a specific day designated to this because I've been in parishes that celebrate it in February and in parishes that don't celebrate it at all.  On Godparent's Sunday, the children are encouraged to receive Holy Communion with their Godparents.  In our parish, many of the Godparents live out of town (including all four of my own kids') so they lit a 3 day vigil candle for their Godparents and left it in the church.

Please forgive the blurriness of the pictures.  I used my phone's camera and it doesn't handle motion very well.









All the children read a portion of the prayers from the Baptism service with Father.  In addition to to this, the middle school and high school students read short summaries explaining the Sacrament of Baptism after Liturgy was completed to the rest of us.  They did a fantastic job!  Father encouraged all of us to have a close relationship with our Godparents/Godchildren and not just remembering them on birthdays, Christmas, and Pascha.

2 comments:

Michelle M. said...

I love this! I think I will mention it to our priest.
I just discovered your blog today-- looking forward to reading more.

Illumination Learning said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing more from you! :)