Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Exaltation of the Holy Cross


Today we celebrate the finding of the Holy Cross by Saint Helen. Saint Helen was the mother of Saint Constantine. She went on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land in search of the True Cross of Christ. Three crosses were found on a mound but they were unable to determine which one belonged to Christ. A dying woman was passing by at this time and she touched the cross of Christ and was instantly healed.

I talked about the feast day with all four of my kids. My oldest child, Niki, read about the feast day online. My youngest three colored an icon of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross from a coloring book called "Byzantine Coloring Book: Feast Days" by Father John Matusiak.




2 comments:

Caeseria said...

Another book I need! I definitely need to be following your blog - my biggest challenge this year has been trying to incorporate feastdays into "school", and I haven't yet managed to plan ahead - they keep sneaking up on me the day of.

Illumination Learning said...

Hi Caeseria!
Thanks for leaving a comment! I know for our family - in the past some feast days naturally get celebrated easier than others. It's our family's goal this year to consciously think about all of them and how we journeying to live our faith everyday.
- Jennifer